One of the greatest ways to spend your holiday in Mozambique is to adventure out on a horse safari at Benguerra Island. One of the most unforgettable activities you can enjoy in the Bazaruto Archipelago happens to be horse riding! Yes, sure, water sports are fun and popular in warm azure oceans but there is nothing quite like trotting a healthy horse up a deserted beach with the wind in your hair!
Choose one of the nine horses at Benguerra Lodge for your dreamy horse ride into the dune forests. Trot inland to see the huge red dunes and to find flamingos stalking the wetlands in their unique pinkness.
Horse riding safari packages are a big deal! We can organise one for you and all you have to do is get to Mozambique. Imagine spending a week on Benguerra Island, riding horses every day, grooming these gracious animals and feeding them? You will fall in love with your mount and with the island scenery around you.
Horse safaris at Benguerra Island go like this:
- Land in Vilanculos and find your lodge presentative
- Take a boat transfer out to Benguerra Island to meet your horse
- Settle into your luxury villa, grab a drink and meet for your first outride
- Find a horse that suits you and spend time getting familiar with that animal’s personality
- Now, follow your guide, out onto a beautiful white beach for your first, slow ride
- Rides also incorporate views of the pristine ecosystems for which Benguerra Island is famous – wander the cliff tops, watch the water birds and explore the mangrove swamps
- End your ride with a delicious seafood dinner served outside on a deck with sea views
The fine accommodation at Benguerra Lodge has been made for families. Luxury beach villas allow the natural environment in and your relaxation is what counts! Choose a stone and thatch casita with a private plunge pool as your home for a few days. You will return to your suite after each outride on your horse, to rest and revitalise your body and soul.
We love the horse ride on Benguerra Island to see the great lakes inland. Your horse will take you past local villages in single file so pack your camera to capture the people on film. You can also snap away at the Eagles, herons, harriers, rollers, kingfishers and pelicans on the island in this watery habitat. When you get to the river, dismount and enjoy a fulfilling lunch. Your horse will eat and drink while you canoe up the river with your guide, spotting amazing island creatures and plants.
Experienced riders may want to do the three-hour island exploration ride on their chosen horse. This ride is partly on your horse and partly in the ocean where you will snorkel over beautiful coral reefs looking out for the rare Dugong and other colourful sea life.
Other horse rides you may want to explore:
- See the fishing village and eat traditional Mozambican food
- See the red sand dunes on the northern point of Benguerra Island and climb them for wonderful ocean views
Other fantastic accommodation we can recommend is the villas at Azura Boutique Retreats Benguerra which are only a few steps from the shore. Enjoy those mod cons that are there to make your life easier and more relaxing – your private splash pool, mini bar, coffee making facilities and your own private butler to take care of all your needs!
Horse riders are welcome on Benguerra Island! Click here to view your perfect horse and book your perfect safari.