Where to stay in the Bazaruto Archipelago
Are you wondering where to stay in the Bazaruto Archipelago? We have unbeaten deals to Benguerra Island, discounted packages to Bazaruto Island – as well as all the other island beach resorts and lodges in Mozambique. From idyllic villas on powdery white sands to stilted chalets in lush dune forests, all the island accommodation in Mozambique’s Bazaruto Archipelago centres around the ocean – ocean views, ocean water sports, ocean activities and ocean conservation.
Choose unforgettable holiday packages for a romantic honeymoon, wondrous wedding, family reunion or business team building event.
Bazaruto Archipelago Highlights
- World class island accommodation in beach villas, ocean view chalets, earthy bungalows and slick hotels – relax in luxury.
- Long powdery white beaches, palm tree fringed bays and warm ocean waters to snorkel and explore.
- Island activities keep everyone busy: hiking, dune boarding, canoeing the mangroves, horse riding, beach picnics, birding, swimming and beach game.
- Cultural education in visits to local villages to buy fresh vegetables and keepsakes at the friendly and colourful markets.
- Dreamy dhow sailing trips to see how traditional fishermen still ply their ancient trade, sustainable living at its best.
- Scuba diving is hot! A huge choice of famous reefs still healthy and home to an enormous array of rare and endangered marine species such as whale sharks, sharks, manta rays, turtles, dolphins and huge silver game fish.
- Extraordinary species in vital conservation area include freshwater crocodiles, red duiker, the tiny suni buck, samango monkeys and many rare lizards and butterflies, birds and plants.
Bazaruto Islands Facts and Figures
- Six islands, 5 000 people and a sanctuary for thousands of species of whales, sharks, manta rays, dolphins, turtles, and the last remaining population of dugongs.
- The park is also home to more than 170 bird species, 48 different reptiles, 21 animal species, 500 marine and coastal molluscs and 2 000 fish species.
- There are pristine wetlands, grasslands, freshwater lakes, dunes, estuaries and mangrove forests.
- The park was established in 1971 and stretches 1,430 km2 area as the country’s first national marine park. This incredible seascape is a natural asset of significant global importance and value to people and planet.
- Quaint names describe the islands in terms of their sheer beauty:
- Bazaruto is the paradise island, the largest of all six isles and the gem of the archipelago with its diverse natural habitats and marine reserve.
- Benguerra was originally named Santa Antonio by Portuguese explorers after their patron saint, is the second largest isle, and a haven for wildlife and special habitats.
- Magaruque was formerly named Ilha Santa Isabel by Portuguese explorers after the Queen of Portugal during the 13th century and is only 2 square kilometres in size.
- Santa Carolina, the archipelago’s closest island to the mainland, is smaller than Magaruque and was originally known as Paradise Island. See the ruins of the old, abandoned Hotel Santa Carolina, was built in 1962.
- Bangue or Ilha Banque is a minute, pristine island 15km off the mainland, only 5 ha in size. Find plenty of pansy shells here. The name means banquet!
Activities in the Bazaruto Marine National Park
- Game Fishing – enjoy some of the best Marlin fishing in the Eastern Indian Ocean, a fisherman’s playground. Book your world class big game fishing excursion for mid-September to late December to find Marlin, or April to August to find Sailfish. Catch King and Queen Mackerel, Bonito, and Travelli. The tag and release policy within the marine reserve allows fish to breed and research to monitor their progress.
- Diving – uncrowded reefs and diverse and abundant marine life. Discover schools of dolphin, pods of humpback and southern right whales, whale sharks, sharks, manta rays and turtles. Remember to look out for the last few dugongs grazing the sea grazes on the seabed! Dive sites range from a shallow 8 m to a deep 40 m for all beginners and pro divers. Island lodges feature dive centres, PADI courses, all gear and equipment plus plenty of action with fun master divers for company and high-tech boats with power engines to take you into the sanctuary for a dream come true experience.
Honeymoons in the Bazaruto Archipelago
Picture the scene – sun rise over a turquoise flat ocean, white tipped waves flowing onto sugary sands and shells lying on the shoreline. Flamingos striding, seagulls calling and palm trees waving their fronds over rocky coves. Mozambique is our honeymoon destination of choice where love knows no bounds. Romance seeps into every landscape and every gorgeous beach, forest, dune and ocean swell. For sheer perfection, you simply cannot beat the islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago for your blissful honeymoon.
Elegant and lavish island lodges and villas on Bazaruto and Benguerra islands offer everything that the happy couple desires: king size beds, gorgeous cotton linens, draped mosquito nets, huge bathtubs with ocean views, outdoor showers, exquisite sun decks and private plunge pools.
Honeymoon experiences to this paradise include daily snorkelling above the splendid coral reefs, spa treatments, sublime beach picnics and dinners under the stars, dhow cruises and more! We offer unbeaten honeymoon deals with flights and loads of extras to all Bazaruto Archipelago accommodation options.
Renowned as the “Pearl of the Indian Ocean” some of these exquisite isles offer exclusive accommodation to travellers coming from South Africa or overseas. An unreal world of pure solitude, jaw dropping beauty, opulent natural habitats and a rich diversity of land and marine wildlife. Did we mention the breath-taking sunrises and sunsets?
Getting to the Bazaruto Archipelago
Fly to the island of your choice from Vilanculos International Airport. Land on private air strips or helipads on the two larger islands of Bazaruto and Benguerra. Boat rides from Vilanculos harbour are an ideal way to see the archipelago when you arrive in Mozambique for the first time on the holiday package of your choice.
Find the Bazaruto islands some 30 km offshore from Vilanculos and Inhassoro towns in Inhambane province.
Start your fantasy holiday into the Bazaruto Archipelago with a few days in Vilanculos where you can get to know the Mozambique culture. We love Vilanculos Beach Lodge for its funky vibe, its chic accommodation, huge swimming pool, rolling lawns and endless activities.
Get in touch for the best deals on Bazaruto and Benguerra Island accommodation with us. This is your best ever vacation to Africa, to a Mozambique sanctuary where only beaches and ocean activities fill your days. Unbeaten deals on resorts and lodges in the Bazaruto Archipelago.