Why we Love Gorongosa Wild Camp
A classic safari experience with a modern twist where guests sleep in canvas tents and beds with solar lighting, outdoor showers and toilets.
Share stories around ambient evening campfires, then dine under the stars – mouth-watering meals prepared by a talented chef.
Delightful intimate and authentic wildlife safari activities from game drives and bush walks to canoeing, boating and mountain expeditions.
A chance to become part of one of the most remarkable restoration stories in the world and renowned biodiversity hotspot.
Complete connection to and immersion in nature where silence and appreciation for all living things allows introspection and spiritual growth.
Wild Camp Safari Gorongosa National Park
It is wild, it is free, and it is a unique camp in the heart of Gorongosa National Park. Wild Camp is seasonal, operating until the rains come end of October every year. New and exciting, a bush experience where game viewing and nature walks fill your days. Mozambique Travel has all the information about this prime safari camp under canvas in an authentic wilderness area.
Get the best of both worlds when you choose a full board deal to stay in the exclusive rustic chic Wild Camp in prime Gorongosa wilderness areas. You are camping, yes, but you are camping in comfort – modern, lavish outdoor lodgings complete with canvas tents and fine linens, off the grid solar energy for lights, showers and dining. Your talented chef makes sensual foods, and all staff attend to your every need as you settle in the wilderness experience you came for.
Special Camp Rates for Mozambique Visitors to Wild Camp
Wild Camp special rates include all meals, selected drinks, drinks on activity excursions, two activities a day, fully equipped canvas tent accommodation and pleasant amenities to make your life comfortable while away on an unforgettable safari experience.
What’s more, we can add to your Mozambique safari vacation with a beach add-on for a combo bush-beach deal you will remember forever. Combine your exquisite Gorongosa safari with an impressive Indian Ocean eco-villa way down on a powdery white beach. Yes, this exclusive, inclusive deal flies you to the national park for a few days then to an island retreat in the Bazaruto Archipelago for a few days. Your Mozambique combo adventure at its untamed best.
Activities for the Wilderness Lover at Gorongosa National Park Wild Camp
Wild Camp is all about the wilderness and outdoor activities in nature. Wilderness lovers will go mad with delight as they experience the spirit of nature while staying in these magical tented camps. Gorongosa is a famous biodiversity hotspot thanks to the endangered and unique creatures and plants endemic to this reserve.
- Game drives – with pro safari guides in open vehicles to discover myriad habitats, wildlife, and birds: fab floodplains fantastical fever tree and palm forests, huge herds of antelope, rare primates, sauntering lions, regal elephants, buffalos, hippos, and crocodiles!
- Walking bush trails – to get up close and personal with huge animals, tiny critters, plants, animals tracks, insects and more. The world’s best classroom for all ages!
- Boat safaris – to enjoy the beauty of Lake Urema, in the beating heart of Gorongosa. Float your boat past giant crocodiles lurking, hippo pods grunting and birds stalking.
- Canoe safaris – to take an easier, slower float up the picturesque Pungué River and view the sandy beaches, reed beds, and riverine forests.
- Biking into the villages – to meet the local Mozambicans and discover a wonderful African culture where many of the reserve staff live and learn about sustainable tourism outcomes.
- Mount Gorongosa expedition – to experience the rainforest, waterfalls and Coffee Project during an entire day of wonder – meet local farmers who are planting shade-grown coffee to revive the rainforest.
- Birding for twitchers – to enjoy all birds in Gorongosa, experiencing incredible breeding colonies, resident species (some endemic), and seasonal migrants.
- Tour of the E.O. Wilson Biodiversity Lab – to find out more about ongoing research and training towards the continual efforts to save Gorongosa National Park and other protected areas of Mozambique.
- A Gorongosa Spa Treatment – for some personalised pampering therapies with products from the French brand Matis. Feel at one with your body and mind again.
Wild Camp Facilities
- Internet connection – good cell phone and Wi-Fi coverage
- Canvas tents (Single or Twin occupancy), comfortable Beds
- Outdoor showers
- Solar Lighting & USB ports for telephone charging.
- Outdoor Dining Area with campfire.
- Two safari activities per day.
- All meals prepared by our experienced chef
Getting to Gorongosa Wild Camp
By air – fly to Mozambique via Johannesburg. Then fly directly from Johannesburg to Beira (3 hours from Gorongosa) or connect through Maputo and continue on to Beira or to Chimoio (2 hours from Gorongosa). Several international cities also offer direct flights to Maputo. From Maputo, take a connecting flight to Chimoio or Beira.
Self-drive from South Africa / Maputo – there are four border crossings between South Africa and Mozambique. The main border crossing is the Lebombo border (known as Ressano Garcia on the Mozambique side), on the N4 (SA) / EN4 (Mozambique) that links Johannesburg and Maputo. Contact us for more information about the route.