Maputo International Airport is serviced by most major airline carriers. Some include the following:
- South African Airways (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban)
- Comair(BA and Kalula.com)
- Kenya Airways (Codeshares with KLM and Air France)
- LAM Mozambique Airlines
- TAP Portugal
- Transairways (Local airline flying to Inhaca Island)
Self Driving to Machangulo Beach Lodge is becoming easier and is actually rather enjoyable! The best option is to drive to Maputo and then to take the boat transfer to the lodge. There are numerous car rental companies that allow vehicles to cross the border from South Africa. There is safe parking in Maputo at the Maputo Marina (from where the boat departs) at extra cost.
- Take the N12 EAST (N4 if you’re in Pretoria).
- Head toward Witbank, where the two highways will converge (now called the N4).
- Continue East on the N4 through Nelspruit all the way to the Komatipoort/Lebombo border post. Remember to have your passports and car papers ready (recent registration if it’s your own vehicle or permission letter from Rental Company).
- Once you are through the 2 posts continue on the highway, now called the EN4, all the way into Maputo.
- As you enter Maputo (first suburb is called Matola) continue straight in with the EN4 until you reach the EN2 at a major traffic light.
- Turn left and continue into Maputo through the toll gate until you reach a big traffic circle, turn right (you entered at 6O’Clock, exit at 3O’Clock).
- Follow the main(Avenida 25 de setenbro) road all the way through the city until you pass the KFC on you left, just pass the circle, which you go straight over, turn right into Maputo Marina(Blue and white buildings).
- Here our friendly staff will assist you and your luggage onto the boat and your journey through Maputo Bay should take around an hour.
For the 4×4:
There is an incredible drive through the Maputo Elephant Reserve, although there are no roads that lead to Machangulo Beach Lodge – it is possible to drive all the way to Santa Maria, about 30 minutes’ walk from the lodge (or a quick boat pickup). The drive takes about six hours and a 4×4 is essential.
GPS coordinates for Machangulo Beach Lodge
-26.083024, 32.959798 View Map