Mozambique Holidays to Bazaruto Archipelago
If you are wondering where to stay in the Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique Travel promises unbeaten accommodation deals for holidays to dream island destinations that rival the best scenery of Seychelles or the Maldives. Some of the best places to stay on the largest island, Bazaruto, feature spa therapies, tennis courts, deep sea fishing trips, exclusive seafood restaurants and scuba diving courses that rival the best in the world.
Sister island, Benguerra, is a haven for lavish villa accommodation on the white seashore, horse rides into the dunes and sundowner dhow cruises. Island hopping boat rides to Magaruque offer fun dune climbing games and picnics on deserted beaches. For discounted packages, free night deals and long stay rates to a rare marine sanctuary in the Indian Ocean, view our accommodation choices below.
From idyllic villas on powdery white sands to stilted chalets in lush dune forests, all the best island accommodation in Mozambique’s Bazaruto Archipelago focus on ocean immersion – ocean views, ocean water sports, ocean activities and ocean conservation.
Choose unforgettable holiday packages for a romantic honeymoon, wondrous wedding, family reunion or business team-building event.
Bazaruto Archipelago Highlights
- World-class island accommodation in beach villas, ocean view chalets, earthy bungalows and slick hotels – relax in luxury.
- Long powdery white beaches, palm tree fringed bays and warm ocean waters to snorkel and explore.
- Island activities keep everyone busy: hiking, dune boarding, canoeing the mangroves, horse riding, beach picnics, birding, swimming and beach games.
- Cultural education in visits to local villages to buy fresh vegetables and keepsakes at the friendly and colourful markets.
- Dreamy dhow sailing trips to see how traditional fishermen still ply their ancient trade, sustainable living at its best.
- Scuba diving is hot! A huge choice of famous reefs still healthy and home to an enormous array of rare and endangered marine species such as whale sharks, sharks, manta rays, turtles, dolphins and huge silver game fish.
- Extraordinary species in vital conservation areas include freshwater crocodiles, red duiker, the tiny suni buck, samango monkeys and many rare lizards and butterflies, birds and plants.
Bazaruto Islands Facts and Figures
- Five islands, 5 000 people and a sanctuary for thousands of species of whales, sharks, manta rays, dolphins, turtles, and the last remaining population of dugongs.
- The park is also home to more than 170 bird species, 48 different reptiles, 21 animal species, 500 marine and coastal molluscs and 2 000 fish species.
- There are pristine wetlands, grasslands, freshwater lakes, dunes, estuaries and mangrove forests.
- The park was established in 1971 and stretches 1,430 km2 area as the country’s first national marine park. This incredible seascape is a natural asset of significant global importance and value to people and planet.
Quaint names describe the islands in terms of their sheer beauty:
- Bazaruto: paradise island, the largest of all six isles and the gem of the archipelago with its diverse natural habitats and marine reserve.
- Benguerra: originally named Santa Antonio by Portuguese explorers after their patron saint, is the second largest isle, and a haven for wildlife and special habitats.
- Magaruque: formerly named Ilha Santa Isabel by Portuguese explorers after the Queen of Portugal during the 13th century and is only 2 square kilometres in size.
- Santa Carolina: the archipelago’s closest island to the mainland, is smaller than Magaruque and was originally known as Paradise Island. See the ruins of the old, abandoned Hotel Santa Carolina, was built in 1962.
- Bangue or Ilha Banque: a minute, pristine island 15km off the mainland, only 5 ha in size. Find plenty of pansy shells here. The name means banquet!
Activities in the Bazaruto Marine National Park
Game Fishing: enjoy some of the best Marlin fishing in the Eastern Indian Ocean, a fisherman’s playground. Book your world-class big game fishing excursion for mid-September to late December to find Marlin, or April to August to find Sailfish. Catch King and Queen Mackerel, Bonito, and Travelli. The tag and release policy within the marine reserve allows fish to breed and research to monitor their progress.
Diving: explore uncrowded reefs harbouring diverse and abundant marine life. Discover schools of dolphins, pods of humpback and southern right whales, whale sharks, sharks, manta rays and turtles. Remember to look out for the last few dugongs grazing the sea grazes on the seabed! Dive sites range from a shallow 8 m to a deep 40 m for all beginners and pro divers. Island lodges feature dive centres, PADI courses, all gear and equipment plus plenty of action in high-tech boats with power engines to take you into the sanctuary for a dream come true experience.
Check out our comprehensive travel guide to the Bazaruto Archipelago to find out what there is to do there and what will fill your days in this tropical string of paradise islands.
Honeymoons in the Bazaruto Archipelago
For sheer perfection, you simply cannot beat the islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago for your blissful honeymoon. Mozambique is our honeymoon destination of choice where love knows no bounds. Romance seeps into every landscape and every gorgeous beach, forest, dune and ocean swell. Picture the scene – sunrise over a turquoise flat ocean, white-tipped waves flowing onto sugary sands and shells lying on the shoreline. Flamingos striding, seagulls calling and palm trees waving their fronds over rocky coves.
Elegant and lavish island lodges and villas on Bazaruto and Benguerra islands offer everything that the happy couple desires: king-size beds, gorgeous cotton linens, draped mosquito nets, huge bathtubs with ocean views, outdoor showers, exquisite sun decks and private plunge pools.
Honeymoon experiences to this paradise include daily snorkelling above the splendid coral reefs, spa treatments, sublime beach picnics and dinners under the stars, dhow cruises and more! We offer unbeaten honeymoon deals with flights and loads of extras to all Bazaruto Archipelago accommodation options.
Start your fantasy holiday in the Bazaruto Archipelago with a few days in Vilanculos where you can get to know the Mozambique culture. We love Vilanculos Beach Lodge for its funky vibe, its chic accommodation, huge swimming pool, rolling lawns and endless activities.
Get in touch for the best deals on Bazaruto and Benguerra Island accommodation with us. This is your best-ever vacation to Africa, to a Mozambique sanctuary where only beaches and ocean activities fill your days. Unbeaten deals on resorts and lodges in the Bazaruto Archipelago.