Where to stay in Inhambane
Find the top ten places to stay in Inhambane, a fabulous coastal town on the southeast coast of Mozambique – we share our best-rated beach accommodation in hotels, lodges, villas and serene self-catering cabins in the seaside havens of Tofo and Barra. Choose unforgettable Mozambique holidays in rustic chic venues loved by surfers, divers and honeymoon couples.
South African travellers love this affordable and exquisite beach destination while international divers, surfers and romantic couples arrive to explore ocean activities galore. Welcome to a major tourist destination that is home to a rich local culture, jaw-dropping marine life and the long white Indian Ocean beachfront. Surf and dive by day, dance the night away in a magnetic village setting where you will make new friends for life.
The quaint fishing town of Tofo is home to gliding whale sharks, a place where surfers hang out in their droves in cafes and bars. We promise some of the best Mozambique holiday packages and accommodation options to Tofo and to the cream of Inhambane’s beach resorts and lodges.
Welcome to one of the top tourism regions in Mozambique – Tofo is loved for its constant tropical climate and numerous inviting beaches, its gorgeous cafes and island-style lifestyle. Mix with backpackers, scuba divers and solo travellers on pleasure trips as you enjoy rustic beach cabins in solitude.
Head to the legendary Barra Beach Peninsula and walk the untouched 7 km of white sandy beach, a serene haven of sun and sea between the biodiverse mangrove estuary and the ocean depths, popular with families who love the great outdoors and all the thrilling activities for their kids. Walk to the Barra Lighthouse to snorkel at low tide in a natural tidal pool and swim out to the wreck of the SS Inharrime, an Italian-built cargo ship that ran aground in 1949.
Tofo Barra Beach Highlights
- Tourism in Tofo centres around diving with Manta rays and Whale sharks, charismatic species endemic to this bay all year round. Dive more than 20 m to see them.
- Hotels have set up an ecological centre for local sea life to spread awareness about responsible tourism with all the surfers and swimmers who come here.
- Manta Reef and Gallaria are top dive sites where rays, whale sharks and turtles can be seen and there are many professional dive outfits along the coast.
- The buzzing festive vibe comes from all the small restaurants, coffee shops, cafes, surf shops and backpackers. Live music and parties make Tofo feel like the south of Spain.
- Tofo dive centres and activity centres are already famous worldwide and certified divers get a lot out of deep dives to see Manta rays and Whale sharks, and anyone can do refresher courses.
- Bring your fishing rod to hook huge game fish and organize other activities with your hotel of choice: dhow trips, sightseeing, parasailing, boat hire, horse riding, water skiing, and four-wheel motor buggy hire.
Inhambane Facts and Figures
- Tofo is a world-renowned information and tourism centre in Inhambane with diverse accommodation from a hotel and 5-star luxury to camping, chalets and backpackers, a market, stables, and shops.
- Inhambane or Terra de Boa Gente (Land of Good People) is located on Inhambane Bay 470 km northeast of Maputo and is the capital of the province.
- Inhambane harbour is protected by a large sandbank and two large dunes and across the bay is the town of Maxixe.
- Dhows traded at Inhambane as long ago as the 11th century when the first people to arrive here were Muslim and Persian traders who wanted to trade pearls.
- As long ago as the 10th century, Inhambane was the southernmost port used by the Arabs for slave trading and Vasco da Gama claimed the bay for Portugal in 1498.
- Inhambane is the largest cashew nut growing area in Mozambique and the versatile coconut and citrus fruits also come from here.
Diving for Mantas in Inhambane
Make sure you add diving to your Inhambane holiday deal to explore the underwater fantasy world of this Mozambique dive destination. Divers of all cultures and backgrounds flock to Mozambique’s Inhambane region to find Giant Manta Rays, Whale Sharks, turtles, and other splendid sea creatures. some the very best diving in Mozambique by far!
Check out what divers call “Tofo’s showcase dive” which is the famous Manta Reef where you can find two cleaning stations – first discovered in the 1960s. Manta numbers have decreased but the fish biodiversity here is fantastic and Manta reef is ideal for divers who are learning the ropes.
Diving aside, surfers come from near and far to catch a wave at Tofo while families come from every country to relax at Barra Beach, learn a new water sport and play in the sun together. Get out to explore the largest city in Inhambane, Maxixe when you catch a boat there across the bay, grab a typical street meal and sample the culture, beaches and shops. Explore the magical history of Inhambane if that is what interests you – the Vasco da Gama statue stands proud, and the regional museum showcases more about those early days and colonial influences too.
Check out our informative and up to date Travel Guide to Inhambane to learn more about what to do in this sunny Mozambique beach destination!
Accommodation in Secluded Beaches and Villas off Barra Point
Explore the Ponta do Barra (Barra Point) and its colourful coral reef, tailor-made for diving and snorkelling. Nearby, Barra Beach is only 30 minutes from Inhambane town and is a honeymoon paradise. Secluded beaches, rustic accommodation in coconut groves and endless horizons.
Enjoy a romantic beach holiday escape at this Mozambique destination. Find incredible beach and ocean activities, succulent seafood meals and fascinating traditional cultures. Inhambane Mozambique accommodation offers outstanding value and is easy to access for holidays from South Africa.
Honeymoons in Inhambane
Romance blooms in Inhambane because it is so picturesque, so diverse and offers swoon-worthy accommodation in the beach resorts of Tofo and Barra Peninsula. Find dreamy luxury villas in very private havens brimming with king-size beds, air-conditioning, minibars, coffee machines, private decks and sparkling plunge pools – a few steps from sugary beaches and azure ocean waves. Find Barra between the magical Inhambane estuary and the sea, a place where couples can escape on their own in nature, do a dive course together or drink cocktails as the sun sinks copper into the horizon.
The 5-night honeymoon perfection package at Massinga includes discounts for the bride, a romantic beach picnic with bubbly and cake with tea daily. Enjoy deluxe bathtubs with ocean views and a surprise gift for two.
We also love the honeymoon offer at the trending Sentidos Beach Retreat where 360-degree views take in a mesmerising sea view, lush bird-filled mangroves and long sandy beaches. Your beach retreat provides air conditioning, large soft sofas and rugs, deep bathtubs and showers, solitary decks and a neat walkway taking you to the infinity swimming pool, restaurant and bar area.
This is just a taster – Mozambique’s Inhambane region is a popular tourist destination and holiday travel packages are designed to suit every pocket. From casual surfers and kite surfers to family groups seeking resorts and couples wanting luxury privacy, Inhambane beach accommodation has it all. Enquire here today.