Where to stay in Inhambane
Read more here about where to stay in Inhambane and Tofo, aka Praia do Tofo. This exquisite beach destination features high on the plans of travellers from South Africa and abroad. Find the quaint fishing town of Tofo on Mozambique’s southeast coast in Inhambane Province where whale sharks glide and surfers hang out in their droves. We promise some of the best Mozambique holiday packages and accommodation options to Tofo and to the cream of Inhambane’s beach resorts and lodges.
Head to Inhambane and the legendary Barra Beach Peninsula for excellent surfing experiences on wondrous waves and diving with gigantic sea creatures. Considered to be one of the top tourism regions in Mozambique, Tofo is loved for its constant tropical climate and numerous inviting beaches.
Welcome to a major tourist destination that is home to a rich local culture, jaw-dropping marine life and the long white Indian Ocean beach front. Surf and dive by day, dance the night away at night in a magnetic village attracting well-known artists and musicians who entertain tourists. Tofo is a surfing hotspot.
Tofo Barra Beach Highlights
- Tourism in Tofo centres around diving with Manta rays and Whale sharks, charismatic species endemic to this bay all year round. Dive more than 20 m to see them.
- Hotels have set up an ecological centre for local sea life to spread awareness about responsible tourism with all the surfers and swimmers who come here.
- Manta Reef and Gallaria are top dive sites where rays, whale sharks and turtles can be seen and there are many professional dive outfits along the coast.
- The buzzing festive vibe comes from all the small restaurants, coffee shops, cafes, surf shops and backpackers. Live music and parties make Tofo feel like the south of Spain.
- Tofo dive centres and activity centres are already famous worldwide and certified divers get a lot out of deep dives to see Manta rays and Whale sharks, and anyone can do refresher courses.
- Bring your fishing rod to hook huge game fish and organize other activities with your hotel of choice: dhow trips, sightseeing, parasailing, boat hire, horse riding, water skiing, and four-wheel motor buggy hire.
Inhambane Facts and Figures
- Tofo is a world-renowned information and tourism centre in Inhambane with diverse accommodation from a hotel and 5-star luxury to camping, chalets and backpackers, a market, stables, and shops.
- Inhambane or Terra de Boa Gente (Land of Good People) is located on Inhambane Bay 470 km northeast of Maputo and is the capital of the province.
- Inhambane harbor is protected by a large sandbank and two large dunes and across the bay is the town of Maxixe.
- Dhows traded at Inhambane as long ago as the 11th century when the first people to arrive here were Muslim and Persian traders who wanted to trade pearls.
- As long ago as the 10th century, Inhambane was the southernmost port used by the Arabs for slave trading and Vasco da Gama claimed the bay for Portugal in 1498.
- Inhambane is the largest cashew nut growing area in Mozambique and the versatile coconut and citrus fruits also come from here.
Diving for Mantas in Inhambane
Make sure you add diving to your Inhambane holiday deal to explore the underwater fantasy world of this Mozambique dive destination. Divers of all cultures and backgrounds flock to Mozambique’s Inhambane region to find Giant Manta Rays, Whale Sharks, turtles, and other splendid sea creatures. some the very best diving in Mozambique by far!
Check out what divers call “Tofo’s showcase dive” which is the famous Manta Reef where you can find two cleaning stations – first discovered in the 1960s. Manta numbers have decreased but the fish biodiversity here is fantastic and Manta reef is ideal for divers who are learning the ropes.
Accommodation in Secluded Beaches and Villas off Barra Point
Explore the Ponta do Barra (Barra Point) and its colorful coral reef, tailor-made for diving and snorkelling. Nearby, Barra Beach is only 30 minutes from Inhambane town and a honeymoon paradise. Secluded beaches, rustic accommodation in coconut groves and endless horizons.
Enjoy a romantic beach holiday escape at this Mozambique destination. Find incredible beach and ocean activities, succulent seafood meals and fascinating traditional cultures. Inhambane Mozambique accommodation offers outstanding value and is easy to access for holidays from South Africa.
Mozambique’s Inhambane region is a popular tourist destination and holiday travel packages are designed to suit every pocket.