Holidays Off the Beaten Track in Santa Maria
Join tourists who love holidays off the beaten track, in nature, when you book your Mozambique holiday to stay in the resorts of the magnificent Santa Maria Peninsula. Discover this wild, untouched piece of land jutting into the Indian Ocean on the eastern side of Maputo Bay, close to Inhaca Island. Indulge in world-class fishing, exquisite bird sightings, and mind-boggling snorkelling. The Santa Maria Peninsula is one of the best Mozambiquefamily holiday destinationsthat offer all-year-round satisfaction.
Self-drive to a paradise as a keen traveller to Mozambique wanting a beach holiday with a difference. This gorgeous holiday destination just outside Maputo promises an idyllic escape from real life to endless white beaches in a remote location, and some of the best beach accommodation in Mozambique!
A holiday escape at Santa Maria effortlessly combines adventures into pristine African forests, endless walks along golden sandy beaches and a wide range of water sports in the azure ocean.
Select the perfect Mozambique beach resort on the Santa Maria Peninsula – such as the luxurious Machangulo Beach LodgeThis beachfront resort is one of our best sellers and offers amazing service, activities and value for money. we also have some of the best rates to Machangulo around – so let us help you with your holiday plans. Find Santa Mariaon our Mozambique map here.
Santa Maria Peninsula Highlights
- Extraordinary fishing at Hells Gate estuary for kingfish species, barracuda, speckled snapper, sailfish, sharks, rays and much more.
- Drive to the Maputo Special (Elephant) Reserve to see game and birds deluxe.
- Arrive in whale season, July until early November, to see Humpback whales in abundance – breaching and tail lobbing happily.
- Explore the dune forests and trails in the area, some marked off by lodges and rehabilitated too.
- Experience local living by visiting the small village of Santa Maria. Enjoy a scrumptious lunch at the local restaurant Teka Teka.
- Explore Inhaca Village on the island where many shops and even a restaurant can be found. Take a stroll on the beach to the village a great place to enjoy local food and drink.
Santa Maria Facts and Figures
- Santa Maria is at the end of the bay of Maputo that stretches 38 kms from Maputo. Inhaca and Portuguese Islands lie just offshore and the area is a nature reserve.
- Fishing trips to catch some of these species: Giant Kingfish, Golden Kingfish, Blue Fin Kingfish, Big Eye Kingfish, Black Tip/or yellow fin Kingfish, Green Spot Kingfish, Amberjack, Lesser Amberjack, Tropical Yellow Tail, Green Job fish, Prodigal Son, and more.
- Santa Maria Bay and Estuaries – fun exploration between Inhaca Island and Santa Maria Village in mangrove forests. Flocks of flamingos, sea turtles and dugongs, flying fish and local sailing boats in this unbelievable ecosystem, teeming with life.
- Excellent diving in the Marine reserves surrounding the Machangulo Peninsula. There are plenty of options for advanced divers, so the ideal location for those looking for a unique and new diving experience.
Getting to the Santa Maria Peninsula is easy – self-drive to Maputo then arrange a boat transfer to Machangulo, Villa Ukuthala or Colina Verde from the Maputo harbour. Our seasoned Mozambique consultants will be happy to do just that as part of your holiday package. Browse our accommodation and package options to Santa Maria Mozambique below.