Experience the ideal Mozambique holiday destination
Xai Xai (pronounced ‘Shai Shai’) has it all for tourists who want to experience the ideal Mozambique holiday destination in the great outdoors. Find this beach destination between Tofo and Maputo not far from Bilene where comfortable accommodation in cosy chalets, luxury lodges and beach resorts with swimming pools abound. Xai Xai promises fantastic warm weather lodgings all year round.
Picturesque Coastal Vacation Destination near Bilene
Xai Xai is a picturesque holiday destination on Mozambique’s east coast attracting tourists to its exquisite beaches, conserved natural environment, and wonderful water sports. You can buy all your necessities at funky markets and shops and there are even convenient petrol stations, banks and internet cafes.
Stay on the beach, Praia de Xai Xai, a mere 10 kilometres from Xai Xai town, in rustic Mozambique hotels or villas with breath-taking sea views. Make sure deep-sea diving, long walks, and other beach adventures top your daily agenda.
Xai Xai offers an affordable and fun holiday for families and groups of friends. Swim with Whale sharks, surf the tides and walk for miles up the long white beaches. Or take a deep-sea fishing charter to hook that Big One. Jet skiing and quad biking excursions can also be arranged in this tropical paradise.
Xai Xai Highlights
- Praia do Xai Xai is the mesmerising beach, only 12 km from the town with plenty of safe swimming, now a trending tourist destination with South Africans and other globe trotters.
- Visit the string of freshwater lakes where you can enjoy some fun kayaking, paddle skiing, windsurfing and excellent bird watching on flat waters.
- Swim in the awesome Wenela tidal pool featuring an unusual blowhole and natural tunnel that links it to the ocean.
- Explore the fascinating coral reef running alongside the beach for an unforgettable snorkelling experience, protected from the ocean waves.
- Get everything you need at the market, eclectic shops, bars and restaurants. The town also features banks, petrol stations and a post office.
Xai Xai Facts and Figures
- Xai Xai is 200 km away from Maputo and the capital city of Gaza Province – so a handy stopover town if you are on a trip to the north to Inhambane or to the south to Ponta Mamoli.
- Xai-Xai, formerly João Belo, developed in the early 1900s, under Portuguese rule and the port was linked to Maputo port. João Belo grew and developed under Portuguese rule as a port, agricultural and industrial centre where rice and cashews were harvested and processed).
- It was hit hard by the 2000 Limpopo floods, with some buildings 3 metres (10 ft) under water. However, shortly after the waters receded the town was opened for business again.
- Always ask if a 4×4 is needed where you are going as this often is the case.
Book your Mozambique beach resort with one of our deals on the warm Indian Ocean where you can braai, self-cater or indulge in an all-inclusive package deal. Find something that includes a range of water sports and fun activities to keep families busy. Make sure you eat out at some of the bars and restaurants where chefs will conjure up mouth-watering dishes of fresh seafood and spicy local cuisine.
We love Xai Xai for its location between north and south, its magnificent beach, and family accommodation for all budgets and requirements.