Why we Love Montebelo Gorongosa Lodge and Safari
Magical sanctuary for all visitors who have a passion for nature and relish the added comfort of tasteful accommodation and meals.
Delicious traditional Portuguese Mozambique cuisine – try the remarkable Frango à Zambeziana chicken with garlic and coconut milk!
Superb venue for small conferences and functions including weddings, birthdays and business team building events with great food and activities on tap.
Definitive 4x4 safaris through dense forests to see elephants and open areas beside the lake to see herds of herbivores, hippos and crocs.
Montebelo Gorongosa budget safari camp accommodation
The privilege is yours when you book a half board package deal to one of the first safari lodges to emerge after the Mozambique civil war in the breath-taking Gorongosa National Park.
Imagine a safari destination with accommodation so perfect it calls your name, a lodge that suits the scenery and blends into the magnificent environment. A place where you can put your feet up under thatch and on polished screed floors but still know that every mod con is at your fingertips to enhance your safari vacation. This is Montebelo Gorongosa Lodges and Safari.
Your Montebelo bed and breakfast special package deal is designed for time out in a choice of ornate rondavels where you can cook your own dinners or order a delicious meal at the restaurant. Mozambique Travel will customise your dream holiday to Gorongosa National Park with all the special activities that you love, the best accommodation choices and the option to be transferred by road or air.
Find Montebelo Lodge in this wildlife sanctuary in the alluring Sofala Province, a recently restored wild destination for nature lovers. Customise your safari vacation in a deal that saves you money but adds on special accommodation and adventurous activities in the great pristine outdoors.
Stylish Accommodation in Villas, Bungalows or Garden Suites at Montebelo
Welcome to Mozambique’s only safari lodge in Gorongosa National Park, Montebelo Lodge and Safari where 30 clean, tasteful thatched units rest under shady trees in a neat garden with a huge round swimming pool, pub, stylish lounge and restaurant. Just down the garden hides the restful Chitengo Campsite where birds play, and tents can be pitched beneath the shady canopy of indigenous trees.
- Premium villa –only one exclusive use premium villa features two luxury bedrooms, a spacious dining and lounge area, tastefully furnished shady deck area and views across the wilderness. Leave the cooking for the birds while you sample fresh wholesome game dishes at the restaurant nearby.
- Standard villas – only two standard villas for families who are seeking that rustic homely touch promise two bedrooms, full kitchen equipped with everything you need, dining and lounge area.
- Premium bungalows – effortlessly blending into their natural surrounds, the premium bungalows are created with an ethnic touch, a graceful Mozambican flavour and luxury amenities for every need. Relax on the sunny patio as the sun passes by overhead and lounge around on a soft sofa after long mornings out game viewing in the Gorongosa wilds.
- Standard bungalows – designed for solitude in nature these units are ideal for an escape from the crowds yet close enough to the Montebelo amenities if a drink or meal is calling.
- Garden rooms – just as serene and pretty, but more centralised, these cosy accommodation units are a short saunter down to the restaurant for your breakfast, followed by a daily activity with your experienced guide.
- Chitengo campsite – the place for nature lovers, overlanders and backpackers will feel away from it all under the indigenous trees, yet part of the action with the bar and restaurant just a stone’s throw away.
Montebelo Lodge and Safari Facilities
- 30 different accommodation choices in villas, bungalows, garden suites and a campsite
- Stunning huge oval swimming pool
- Fitness centre
- Bar and restaurant with outdoor seating
- Free Wi-Fi and aircon
- Some units have satellite TV
- Playground for kids
- Spa for pampering and soothing soul and body
- Conference and function facilities
- BBQ or braai facilities for all guests
- Air conditioning
- Souvenir shop
Activities for Families, Couples and Groups at Gorongosa Montebelo
Gorongosa is a famous biodiversity hotspot thanks to the endangered and unique creatures and plants endemic to this reserve.
- Game drives – with pro safari guides in open vehicles to discover myriad habitats, wildlife, and birds: fab floodplains fantastical fever tree and palm forests, huge herds of antelope, rare primates, sauntering lions, regal elephants, buffalos, hippos, and crocodiles!
- Walking bush trails – to get up close and personal with huge animals, tiny critters, plants, animals tracks, insects and more. The world’s best classroom for all ages!
- Boat safaris – to enjoy the beauty of Lake Urema, in the beating heart of Gorongosa. Float your boat past giant crocodiles lurking, hippo pods grunting and birds stalking.
- Canoe safaris – to take an easier, slower float up the picturesque Pungué River and view the sandy beaches, reed beds, and riverine forests.
- Biking into the villages – to meet the local Mozambicans and discover a wonderful African culture where many of the reserve staff live and learn about sustainable tourism outcomes.
- Mount Gorongosa expedition – to experience the rainforest, waterfalls and Coffee Project during an entire day of wonder – meet local farmers who are planting shade-grown coffee to revive the rainforest.
- Birding for twitchers – to enjoy all birds in Gorongosa, experiencing incredible breeding colonies, resident species (some endemic), and seasonal migrants.
- Tour of the E.O. Wilson Biodiversity Lab – to find out more about ongoing research and training towards the continual efforts to save Gorongosa National Park and other protected areas of Mozambique.
- A Gorongosa Spa Treatment – for some personalised pampering therapies with products from the French brand Matis. Feel at one with your body and mind again.
Getting to Montebelo Lodge in Gorongosa National Park
By air – fly to Mozambique via Johannesburg. Then fly directly from Johannesburg to Beira (3 hours from Gorongosa) or connect through Maputo and continue to Beira or to Chimoio (2 hours from Gorongosa). Several international cities also offer direct flights to Maputo. From Maputo, take a connecting flight to Chimoio or Beira.
Self-drive from South Africa / Maputo – there are four border crossings between South Africa and Mozambique. The main border crossing is the Lebombo border (known as Ressano Garcia on the Mozambique side), on the N4 (SA) / EN4 (Mozambique) that links Johannesburg and Maputo. Contact us for more information about the route.