Mozambique Holidays to Vilanculos Beach Resorts
Honeymoon getaways, family holidays and diving specials all start in Vilankulo town, the gateway to the Bazaruto Archipelago in Mozambique. See how life has not changed for centuries – local fishermen still fish with nets at the edge of the sea and farmers still grow cashew nuts near their rural thatched villages. Read our Vilanculos travel guide here if you need more information and sample our top choices on premium beachfront accommodation with idyllic ocean views!
- Delicious Mozambique Portuguese inspired local food – sumptuous prawns and lobster, freshly grilled catch of the day and spicy chicken peri-peri.
- Numerous water-based activities including fishing for Marlin and other game fish, snorkelling, diving, kite surfing and swimming. Motor-boating and traditional dhow sailing trips add to the adrenaline rush in Vilanculos.
- The gateway to the Bazaruto Archipelago where 5 islands await your exploration: Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaruque, Banque and Santa Carolina feature rare wildlife and their habitats, solitary beaches and untouched reefs.
- World rated dive sites located on the seaward side of San Sebastian – south of the islands on the mainland peninsular and then also in the protected large bay southwest of San Sebastian.
- Vilanculos and the archipelago are ranked as the best Black Marlin destination in the Eastern Indian Ocean and fishermen descend on the bay during the season, October through to end of January.
- A top kitesurfing location with reliable winds and great conditions for this sport. Get your gear and advice from one of several kitesurfing schools along the beach.
- Excellent scuba diving on day trips from Vilanculos to the islands with 2 tanks. Discover healthy coral reefs and clear waters offering some of the best diving in the world – dive sites are uncrowded and marine life is varied and abundant.
Vilanculos Facts and Figures
- This bustling Mozambique tourist region boasts a new international airport and is part of the wonderful coastline of Inhambane.
- Vilanculos is named after local tribal chief Gamala Vilankulo Mukoke and today the district is called Vilanculos and the town Vilankulo.
- Local people deliver their own home-grown vegetables and fruits and fish to the lodges within the Vilanculos Sanctuary.
- The Vilanculos Coastal Wildlife Sanctuary, south of Vilanculos, is one of the most biodiverse reserves in Africa and covers an area of 30,000 hectares. It is made up of coastal dunes, mudflats, bush and wetland, as well as miles of pristine beaches that shelter both deep and shallow reef ecosystems. Sightings of eland, Burchell’s zebra, wildebeest, giraffe and eland are common.
- Along the coast the largest remaining population of the endangered dugong in this African region grass the sea grasses on the seabed
- Vilanculos is the gateway to the Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique’s only underwater national park.
Ocean and Beach Activities Abound at Vilanculos
Watch dhows travelling between this port and the islands all day and stroll around the numerous local markets to buy fresh fish or other necessities. Vilanculos is known for its fantastic white beaches, coconut palms, clear azure ocean, warm weather, and island-style adventure and pampering atmosphere.
Your memorable Mozambique holiday deals to Vilanculos can be tailor-made for diving, spa pampering, honeymoon specials or family breaks. Everything is possible with Mozambique Travel and your Vilanculos vacation will be another feather in your travelling-cap. See all our Vilanculos beach accommodation options below.
Top of our bucket list here is Vilanculos Beach Lodge and the now-famous Bahia Mar Villa. Both offer great accommodation on the beach and good value for money.
And you can find excellent Vilanculos holiday accommodation with the choice of camping, backpacking, B&B, self-catering, lodges, resorts and luxurious hotels. Contact us for more Vilanculos information and holiday deals so we can help you plan your getaway.