Maputo is the Capital City of Mozambique
Check out our range of Maputo accommodation and where to stay in Mozambique’s capital city. We have unbeaten deals to Maputo’s best hotels, lodges, bed and breakfasts, apartments and guest houses. Read our comprehensive guide here.
Maputo is a region of incredible history, late development and tourism and legends like Samora Machel. When you travel to Mozambique’s capital city of Maputo, it brings back memories of historical milestones.
Villa das Arabias Boutique Hotel Maputo
Hotel Cardoso Maputo
Polana Serena Hotel Maputo
Southern Sun Hotel in Maputo
Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence Maputo
Nahyeeni Lodge Inhaca Island
Pestana Rovuma Hotel
The highlights of a holiday to Maputo Mozambique
- The old town is in the centre of the city where it all happens while new developments now sprawl along the seaside attracting people to a slower beachy pace.
- Wander around the streets to photograph the shabby but graceful colonial buildings such as the city’s main train station, Maputo’s 20th-century Praca dos Trabalhadores, the wrought iron lattice work designed by the same architect who designed the Eiffel Tower in France, Gustav Eiffel.
- Art is part of the culture in Maputo so visit the National Art Gallery and the Natural History Museum.
- The municipal market is a fascinating sensory experience of smells, sights, sounds, textures and tastes. Buy some fresh tropical fruits, roasted nuts, spices and cloths.
- Buy cooked prawns or chicken peri-peri from street vendors and eat it with fresh Portuguese breads.
- Pop into local cafes and bars to hear the local music and sample the local beers.
Maputo Facts and Figures
- Maputo was first called Lourenço Marques after the Portuguese trader who first reached the area around 1544.
- In 1895, a railroad linked the city to Pretoria and the gold-rush areas of South Africa and by 1907 Maputo was the capital of Mozambique.
- Maputo got its name in 1975 at independence after decades of war and devastating destruction. The city began to rebuild itself attracting new businesses and tourists.
- The largest port in the Indian Ocean, Maputo harbour is a source of Mozambique’s economic stability.
- Maputo is also one of Africa’s premier tourist destinations and the global influx of visitors has brought job creation and income for local communities.
Accommodation Choices in Maputo
Accommodation in Maputo is diverse and accessible – tourists need beds and deals, and Maputo offers a range of accommodation establishments. From guest houses, B & Bs to beach lodges and international hotels, the city rings with life and culture. The hospitality is flamboyant and stylish; food is spicy and exotic, and the nightlife is vibrant and second to none in Africa.
Streets are lined with cafes, restaurants, nightclubs, and casinos while the beachfront offers numerous activities for water sports enthusiasts and explorers. Try the Mozambique peri-peri prawns or other famous seafood dishes – then dance the night away before returning to your hotel in Maputo.
Maputo is the gateway to Mozambique island and beach holidays, and we offer the very best deals on hotels in Maputo.
There is renewed interest in Maputo and regular new international flights with TAP and Ethiopian Airlines into Maputo Mozambique. This opens up a number of new and exciting destinations in Mozambique for international travellers.
Fly daily from Maputo to Vilanculos or Inhambane and discover the Bazaruto Archipelago or Ilha de Mozambique – explore the best island lodges in Mozambique. Mozambique Travel has several great deals and packages to Bilene, Ponta do Ouro and Santa Maria Peninsula, to name but a few!
So, if you need great deals on accommodation in Maputo, get in touch today. Check out our unbeaten deals and service when you book Maputo hotel accommodation. From conferences in Mozambique to a weekend getaway from Johannesburg, we are ready and here to help you plan your holiday to Maputo!