Why we Love Muzimu Tented Camp
The emphasis is on the guest, the ornithologists, conservationists, and true nature spirits who seek out an authentic wilderness experience because they want to.
Walking trails to meet real animals in their natural habitats and to take note of all the tiny critters scurrying along in the grass, trees, soil and wetlands.
Rare samango monkeys play in the rain forests around the spectacular Murombodzi waterfall, a stunning 100m-high drop rewarded with a refreshing swim in the pool below.
A vital contribution to the ecotourism vision of Gorongosa National Park and the sustainable tourism initiatives so important to Mozambique’s nature conservation.
Appreciate the solitude, the spiritual silences and the wildlife sanctuary at your fingertips - rejuvenation of soul and mind.
Muzimu Gorongosa, Safaris on Another Dimension
An authentic nature experience awaits all visitors to Muzimu Tented Camp deep in the wilds of Gorongosa National Park. Special rates apply for special guests who seek out the true safari rewards of wildlife sightings, nature walks, bush breakfasts and sundowners, biodiversity education and more. Muzimu means “Guardian Spirit”, discovered on bush walks in the extensive grasslands, the mixed woodlands, floodplains and rainforests on Mount Gorongosa.
Elegance personified, simplicity realised, Muzimu embraces the environment unobtrusively and shyly. Disguised in the curve of the Mussicadzi River that finally leads to Lake Urema down in Africa’s Rift Valley, this brand-new remote bush lodge comprises six raised luxury canvas tents with private timber decks to make the most of an awe-inspiring landscape. Designed in true East African style, each secluded tented suite offers king size beds, ensuite bathrooms and quality linens, mosquito screens, tea and coffee stations and fans – plus tons of serenity and spiritual renewal.
A sensational camp designed for an intimate holiday in a world class wildlife area. Enjoy exceptional personalised activities led by professional guides specifically focused on walking to absorb all things natural and real. The perfect setting, charming service, mouth-watering menu and attention to detail enhance a safari experience in the nearly 4 000 square km Gorongosa. Only accessible from Mid-March through to December as remote seasonal camps that aim to have as little impact on the environment as possible.
Tailormade Safari Deals for Clients who Believe in Sustainable Tourism in Mozambique
Your special package to Muzimu includes luxury accommodation, drinks, all meals, activities and refreshments while on safari. Your individual reservation is based on your wilderness needs and expectations, your budget, fitness levels, health and group size. Excellent value for money in a stylish bush location where staff go the extra mile to present fresh produce for every meal, expensive champagne for brunch and five-star service.
Chat to Mozambique Travel about your combo bush beach package tour to Gorongosa National Park and a mainland coastal resort or an island villa in the Bazaruto Archipelago. We ensure you get the best of both worlds in the raw bushveld of Muzimu tented camp then the swish luxury of an island villa or beach resort in the sunny coastal areas of Mozambique. From an intimate wilderness immersion to a tropical water sport context, you get to bush walk and kite surf in one dream safari beach holiday to Mozambique!
Muzimu Tented Camp Lodge Facilities
- 6 Luxury Bedouin Style Stretched Canvas Tents with ensuite bathrooms, plenty of air and mod cons
- Central dining area with shady game viewing deck
- Bar and lounge
- Swimming pool
Muzimu Tented Camp Lodge Activities
- Astounding safari experience in a true paradise for ornithologists and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Endangered and vulnerable species roam the diverse ecosystems including lion, wild dogs, leopard, elephant, buffalo, blue-wildebeest, Crawshay’s zebra, sable antelope, nyala and kudu plus myriad birds and reptiles, insects and plants
- Daily safaris by jeep, boat or on foot led by qualified and experienced guides.
- Gorongosa Science Lab visits set up by the famous EO Wilson
- Community cultural experiences
- Canoeing into pristine swamps and up rivers so remote it’s only you and the birds
- Cycling to villages to meet community members and discover a new culture
- Mount Gorongosa waterfalls and rock pool swims
- Visits to the coffee and honey projects.
Getting to Muzimu Tented Camp
- Self-drive into Chitengo if you so wish, but Gorongosa National Park does not permit self-drive game viewing as all activities are conducted by qualified guides and game rangers.
- Fly into Beira or Chimoio and use the Montebelo transfer service or 3rd Party Transfer Providers. From Beira the average travel time is 4.5 hours and from Chimoio it is 3 hours.
- There is the option to charter a plane from Beira International Airport from Montebelo Lodge partners at Safari Air. The flight is a quick and scenic 35-minute flight.