Maputo is the vibrant capital city of Mozambique where people gather to eat great food in diverse restaurants and to unwind in great nightclubs after long working days. Our consultants have used their travel experience in Maputo to list for you some of the restaurants, bars, and nightclubs which stand out. Interact with local Mozambicans and other travelers for the social time of your life!
Maputo is a place of music, dancing and great seafood. People are friendly and most places are safe. From exclusive hotels and restaurants to the more lowly, local and very real eating places, this is the place to be for fun and great tastes.
Nightlife in Maputo:
- Africa Bar is a popular nightclub on Avenida 24 de Julho and Karl Marx street, only five minute’s walk from the city center. Join the long queue with the more affluent Mozambicans in fancy clothes. Live jazz every Thursday.
- Coconut Live is a huge nightclub, boasting three large video screens and an enormous dance floor in the middle. One level up is a VIP lounge on the mezzanine, overlooking the dance floor. Drinks are affordable and the place is very crowded on weekends. Definitely for the younger crowd.
- Sinatra’s on Ave. Martires de Inhaminga opens at 21:00 and closes very late – a place to sample Mozambican- Brazilian food and music.
- Chez Rango at Maputo’s main train station is one of the best places to enjoy jazz in an intimate environment with live bands every Saturday night and Afro-Jazz during the week.
- Gypsy’s Bar on Rua do Bagamoyo is popular but go in a group – a seedy part of town.
- Complexo Sheik on Ave. Julius Nyerere is more upmarket and dancing goes on until dawn with the city’s upper class.
- For the more adventurous, head to T3, a suburban area in Maputo usually not visited by foreigners. Small bars are the nightlife in these dusty streets – find burning barrels outside the bars and cafes to replace lights in the night. A genuine African atmosphere.
Recommended Maputo Restaurants:
- Mundo’s restaurant is popular with those who don’t mind a crowd – a great place to eat and chat, meeting new people. Order pizza, hamburgers, seafood.
- Cafe Camissa is a casual eatery for snacks and beverages. A meeting place for artists, intellectuals, travelers and locals.
- Milano Grill House is a steakhouse with an African atmosphere at the intersection of Avenida 24 de Julho and Avenida Salvador Allende, right in the city center. Good food but expensive.
- Costa do Sol is a great place for very fresh seafood – about six kilometers from the city center. Order a plate of prawns!
- The Taverna offers genuine Portuguese food where many local Portuguese people eat. Lovely bread, meat dishes, and seafood plus decadent desserts.
- The Polana Hotel presents a seafood evening every Saturday evening. Eat lobster, prawns, paella, seafood curry and more from the buffet while enjoying live music.
- For the more adventurous go to the fish market in a group. Order fresh fish or seafood and take it to the back, to a range of small restaurants where they will cook it to perfection on a grill.
- The T3 area just outside Maputo harbors small cafes which sell things like T-bone steak, fresh bread, and beer – very cheap, very African!